Home    Salzburg, Austria   9/11/2008  
Previous Home Next

Mirabell Gardens It was built in the 18th century following the plans of the famous architect Fischer von Erlach. Countless statues inspired by greek myths can be seen throughout the park, and it is centered by a big fountain. Its four statues symbolize the four elements of nature: fire, water, air and earth. Mirabell Palace was built in 1606 by Archbishop Wolf Dietrich von Raitenau. He named it "Altenau" for his mistress Salome Alt. She bore him at least ten children. Today, Mirabell Palace is seat of the city government. the film: The "Do-re-mi" song began around 45 Kilometres from Salzburg, but within 5 minutes and 33 seconds Maria and the children were dancing round the Pegasus fountain right in the Mirabell Gardens, jumping up and down the steps leading to the gardens and imitatin the stautes at the old city end.