Home Karnak Temple    
Previous Home Next

Palace of Ma'at Originally built by Hatshepsut - 1479 BCE to 1458 BCE The "palace of Ma'at" served as the central sanctuary of Karnak. The rectangular structure was comprised of a series of small rooms with a large central hall for the placement of the central bark. The walls of the palace were covered with carved and brightly painted relief scenes of Hatshepsut and Thutmose III. Flanking the sanctuary to the north, there are a few notable scenes in the southeastern room. Presently on the interior north wall the bas-reliefs here were once on the outside of the south wall of this same room, but were covered over by the "wall of the Annals" by Tuthmosis III. Legrain removed Hatshepsut's reliefs, block by bock, and remounted them in the location they are found today. Here, Hatshepsut (who has been hammered out by Tuthmosis III) is depicted at a ritual run before Amun Min.